In our chiropractic clinic near Denver and Wheat Ridge, rib pain is a common pain condition that people inquire about to see if our chiropractor can help. Most people think they have “popped a rib out” and need an adjustment to fix this issue. What people must first understand is there are many different conditions that can contribute to having rib pain. There can be very serious underlying causes that resemble rib pain and it is important to rule out these conditions before treatment begins. That is why it is important to know the following information in case you have experience rib pain.
4 Things You MUST Do If You Have Rib Pain:
- If you are experiencing the following symptoms, seek immediate emergency care.
- Chest pain that travels to the back, jaw, left shoulder and arm.
- Change in consciousness, dizziness, or being lightheaded.
- Shortness of breath and other respiratory problems, chest tightness, cramping, or tearing feeling.
- Ice the affected rib region for 20 minutes every hour to reduce inflammation and swelling (if present).
- Do NOT compress or wrap your ribs with a bandage. This may increase your chances at further significant injury.
- Consult your local chiropractic clinic to get a comprehensive exam to determine the cause of your pain and explore treatment options.
Rib pain can occur from acute injury, repetitive movements, unexplained cause, sports injuries and even significant coughing. Pain is typically felt near the front of the chest by the sternum, under the armpit on the sides, or near the back close to the spine. It may be difficult to take deep breaths or lay on the affected side. Pain in each of these regions can come from a variety of causes, including muscular, nerve, joint, or organic conditions.
Call Core Family Chiropractic at 720-242-6251 or Schedule Online